My Instant Pot Mexican Ground Beef Casserole recipe has been a long time in the making. It took many trials to get the ratio of rice:fluids just right so that it wasn’t a complete soggy mess, even if still delicious. If you are craving something Mexican, this is a pretty easy recipe to make, even if it takes quite a bit of time under pressure. If ground beef isn’t to your liking, you can sub with ground poultry at cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes. Or substitute with ground pork at High Pressure for 10 minutes.
It is on the mild-medium spicy index. If you think it will be too spicy, seed the jalapeno. If you want it with more heat, add another jalapeno.
I hope you enjoy!
6-quart Instant Pot
Food processor or chopper attachment for the immersion blender
Measuring cups and spoons
Instant Pot Mexican Ground Beef Casserole
- 6 quart Instant Pot
- Cutting Board
- Food processor or chopper attachment for the immersion blender
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- 454 g lean ground beef
- 2 cups onions diced or chopped
- 2 cup green bell pepper diced or chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced or chopped; seed if too spicy or add another for extra spice
- 798 mL can diced tomatoes salt-free
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups Basmati rice rinsed and drained
- 798 mL can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups water divided into 1/4 cup and 1 cup
- Turn the Instant Pot onto Sauté. Once hot, add the ground beef and onions. Sauté until the ground beef is crumbly and the onions are translucent, about 2 - 4 minutes. Do not brown. Deglaze with 1/4 cup of water.
- Press "Cancel". In even layers, add the following in the order listed: all peppers, diced tomatoes with the liquid, rice, all the herbs and spices, and kidney beans. Add 1 cup of water.
- Place the lid. Cook at High Pressure for 20 minutes. Naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes before releasing any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid. Churn the casserole until well mixed. Serve. Enjoy!