28 Mar Disabled Kitchen Recipe: Instant Pot Chicken Stew for Canning or Freezing
My Instant Pot Chicken Stew recipe is another one of my super easy recipes that only takes a few steps to make. It is also perfect for pressure canning or freezing.
Prep time is 20 minutes. Cook time is 9 minutes. And there is a whole bunch of hurrying up and waiting while the Instant Pot and the pressure canner does its things.
Makes 8 x 500 ml (1 pint) jars. It is super important that you either pressure can this recipe or freeze it. Do not water-bath can this recipe.
If you’re new to Instant Pot-ting, these Instant Pot Resources are a great place to start.
Instant Pot Chicken Stew for Canning Needed Items
- 6 quart Instant Pot or
- 23 quart canner
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Garlic press
- Food processor or food chopper attachment for your immersion blender
- Wooden spoon
- 5-piece canning set
- Plastic ladle
- 8 x 500 ml regular mouth canning jars
Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- 454 g boneless skinless chicken thighs (cubed)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cup chicken stock (Sometimes I replace the chicken stock with 2 cups of frozen turkey drippings and 2 cups of water)
- 4 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 cup green beans (frozen)
- 2 large russet potatoes (medium cubed)
- 4 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- Turn the Instant Pot onto saute. Once hot, add olive oil, onion and garlic. Saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Do not brown. Press cancel.
- In the following order, add the chicken stock, carrots, potatoes, celery, frozen green beans, sage, rosemary, parsley, basil, sea salt, black pepper and chicken.
- Place lid. Cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes. Natural Release pressure. After 10 minute of NPR, place cold wet dish clothes on the metal parts of the lid to quicken the rest of the natural release process. You will need to re-wet the clothes multiple times.
- Mix the cornstarch in 1 cup of water. Remove the lid. Turn onto Saute. Once the stew starts to boil, add the cornstarch and water mixture and stir until thick. Press cancel.
- While the Instant Pot is doing its thing, fill your canning jars with hot water. Prepare your pressure canner with a bit over the minimum required amount of hot water per manufacturer instructions and 2 tbps white vinegar. Place the jars in the canner. Place the pressure canner on low heat to keep the water and jars hot. Prepare your lids as the pressure is releasing from the Instant Pot.
- Once the stew is done, empty the water out of jars as the jars as needed. Fill each jar, leaving 3 cm of head space. Use a wooden or plastic utensil to remove any air pockets.
- Wipe clean the jar's threads. Add the lids. Immediately place in the pressure canner as each jar is filled.
- Following the manufacturer instructions for your pressure canner, process for 60 minutes at 11 pounds, making any necessary adjustments for altitude.
- When done processing, remove the pressure cooker from heat. Once the pressure has released from the canner, remove the jars, placing them on a tea towel to seal. You'll hear a popping noise as the lids seal.