13 Feb Disabled Kitchen Recipe: Instant Pot Chinese Hot and Sour Soup for Canning or Freezing
This Instant Pot Chinese Hot and Sour Soup recipe is perfect for pressure canning. It’s an extremely easy dump and cook recipe with only 4 steps. I’m not so sure about freezing it but it should do well. You’ll probably just have to stir it very well after re-heating to re-thicken.
Prep time is 15 minutes. Cook time is 6 minutes. And there is a whole bunch of hurrying up and waiting while the Instant Pot and pressure canner does its things.
Heat index is mild-medium.
Makes 4 x 500 ml (1 pint) jars. It is super important that you either pressure can this recipe or freeze it. Do not water-bath can this recipe.
If you’re new to Instant Pot-ting, these Instant Pot Resources are a great place to start.
Instant Pot Chinese Hot and Sour Soup for Canning Needed Items
- 6 quart Instant Pot
- 23 quart canner
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon
- 5-piece canning set
- Plastic ladle
- 4 x 500 ml regular mouth canning jars
Disabled Kitchen Recipe: Chinese Hot and Sour Soup for Canning
- 4 cup salt-free chicken broth (Because there is no veg that releases water, this is one of those few times that using a lot of fluids won't make for a bland recipe.)
- .454 kg boneless skinless chicken thighs (Cut into slices)
- 113 g shiitake mushroom (thinly sliced)
- 227 ml can sliced bamboo shoots (drained)
- 3 tbsp Ginger/Garlic Masala (Recipe for Ginger/Garlic Masala)
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha chili sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (mixed with 2 tbsp cold water)
- 2 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp black pepper (or white pepper)
Instant Pot Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
- In a 6 qt Instant Pot, add the chicken broth, chicken, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, ginger/garlic masala, Balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, sriracha, soy sauce and brown sugar. Give it a quick stir.
- Set to High Pressure for 5 minutes. Natural release for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure. This is one of few recipes of mine that require release of remaining pressure so that the soup doesn't overcook during canning.
- Remove the lid and turn onto saute. Once the soup starts to boil, add the corn starch and water, stirring until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Press cancel.
- Add the sesame seed oil and pepper. Stir.
- While the Instant Pot is releasing pressure, fill your canning jars with hot water. Prepare your pressure canner with a bit over the minimum required amount of hot water per manufacturer instructions and 2 tbps white vinegar. Place the pressure canner on low heat to keep the water hot.
- Put the lids in a small pot and boil for at least 5 minutes.
- Once you've finished cooking the Chinese Hot and Sour Soup, fill the jars leaving 2.5 cm (1 inch) of head space. Use a plastic ladle.
- Wipe clean the jar's threads. Add the lids. Immediately place in the pressure canner as each jar is filled.
- Following the manufacturer instructions for your pressure canner, process for 60 minutes at 11 pounds, making any necessary adjustments for altitude.
- When done processing, remove the pressure cooker from heat. Once the pressure has released from the canner, remove the jars, placing them on a tea towel to seal. You'll hear a popping noise as the lids seal.