There are a lot of Instant Pot Hummus recipes out there to find. However, a lot of them either call for the unnecessary step of soaking the chickpeas, or they add ingredients that cause it to no longer be of the authentic-to-the-region-of-origin variety. My Instant Pot Hummus recipe cuts out presoaking of the peas and only uses ingredients used in most regions of the Middle East. Also, by cooking the chickpeas in the Instant Pot for the full 40 minutes adds a nice roasted flavour to them that is missing in other methods. If you want to add additional ingredients to give it some extra flavours, go right ahead!
Making Instant Pot hummus is incredibly easy and you don’t need any fancy equipment. If you have a blender or food processor, minimum 3-quart Instant Pot, and some measuring cups and spoons, plus the ingredients which are staples in many homes, you’re good to go!
Aside from using hummus as a dip, spread or snack, it also makes for a great base in many drizzles.
Instant Pot Hummus
- 3-quart Instant Pot
- Blender or food processor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1/2 cup dried chickpeas
- 1-2 cups water
- 1 dash sea salt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic smashed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In the Instant Pot add the chickpeas. Cover with a couple centimetres of water – minimum 1 cup -- and a dash of salt.
- Cook at High Pressure for 40 minutes. Natural release pressure for 10 minutes before releasing any remaining pressure.
- Once the chickpeas are done, drain the water into a bowl and set aside.
- Put the drained chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice into a blender. Process until smooth.
- Put the hummus in a container or serving bowl. Can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.