My Instant Pot Daal Stew is a warm mix of red lentils, potatoes, carrots, celery, green beans, onions, and spices. It’s one of my favourite stews from my teen years. My recipe is a bit on the medium-high spice size. If you think it will be too spicy for you, make my ginger/garlic masala without the serrano peppers and cut back on the amount of cayenne pepper you add.
This recipe does take some effort as there are multiple cooking phases but it is well worth it!
If you are going to pressure can it, can it at 11 pounds pressure for one hours, adjusting as needed for altitude. You can also freeze this recipe. When you freeze or jar this recipe, it will get very thick because of the starch from the daal and potatoes. Just add a bit of water when reheating if you don’t want it to be so thick.
Instant Pot Daal Stew
- 6 quart Instant Pot
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Knife or food processor with dicing blade
- Cutting Board
- Wooden Spoon
- Canning equipment if jarring
- 2 tbsp coconut oil You can substitute for ghee or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 large russet potato diced
- 1/2 cup carrot diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 cup frozen green beans cut
- 1 tbsp ginger/garlic masala
- 1 tbsp thana jeeroo
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups dried red lentils rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Turn the Instant Pot onto sauté. When hot, add the oil and onions. Sauté until the tips are lightly brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the potato, carrot, celery, and green beans. Sauté until the green beans start to defrost. About 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger/garlic masala, thana jeeroo, sea salt, garam masala, cayenne pepper, and turmeric. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Press "cancel". Add 4 cups of water and scrape off all the good stuff from the bottom (deglaze). Add the lentils. Put on the lid. Cook at high pressure for 2 minutes. Natural release for 5 minutes then quick release.
- After the pressure has been released, add 2 cups of water. Stir well so that the lentils don't stick to the bottom. Put on the lid. Cook for another 2 minutes. Natural release for 10 minutes then quick release any remaining pressure.